Dooragan National Park
Local Aboriginal legend tells of the death of three brothers. North Brother Mountain, at the heart of the park, is the resting place of Dooragan, the youngest. The mountain supports a wide range of vegetation communities - including some of the best examples of old growth blackbutt forest in NSW and pockets of sub-tropical rainforest - that provide habitat for gliders, bats and koalas and offer unbeatable views up and down the NSW coast.
This park is near...
Port Macquarie (45 km, 35 minutes)
Best access routes
From Port Macquarie take the Laurieton Road until you reach Laurieton, then take the Kew Road (towards the Pacific Highway) for 2.5 kilometres. Turn left into Captain Cook Bicentenary Road and follow it to the North Brother Mountain summit.
Road quality: paved
Leave the Pacific Highway at Kew, where it's worth visiting the Kew information Centre. Take the Laurieton Road and turn right into the Captain Cook Bicentenary Road after 8 kilometres. Follow this road to the North Brother Mountain summit.
Road quality: paved
Facilities & things to do
>>Picnics & barbecues
>>Native plant communities: Rainforests, Evucalypt forests
>>Native animals: Threatened species, List of animals recorded in the park
>>Geology & landscape
Culture & history
The park area since colonisation
North Brother Mountain has significant historical and cultural links to both Aboriginal and European heritage.
Captain Cook was the first European to record North Brother Mountain in May 1770, from his ship the HMS Endeavour.
It's one of the 'Three Brothers' along with Middle Brother and South Brother Mountains. These three coastal mountains are a prominent feature of the Camden Haven valley.
A Dreamtime legend describes how three brothers from the Birpai tribe met their fate at the hands of the witch Widjirriejuggi, and were buried where each mountain stands. Dooragan National Park derives its name from the youngest of the three brothers.
Interestingly Captain Cook also named the three mountains the 'Three Brothers'.
North Brother Mountain was established as a timber reserve in 1892. Later it became the Camden Haven State Forest. Since then portions of the mountain have been selectively logged and evidence of this can be seen on the mountain. Large tree stumps with wood cutters' board holes are present along the drive into the park, along the walking trails and at the summit. However, large sections of the forest remained untouched due to the steep terrain.
NSW State Forests opened North Brother Mountain to the public in 1970 with the construction of a road to the summit. In the years to follow, recreational facilities were constructed with the help of local community groups such as Lions and Rotary.
History of the park
North Brother Mountain became Dooragan National Park in 1997. The park was gazetted due to its high conservation, recreational and cultural values.
To the people of the Camden Haven Valley, North Brother Mountain is much more than a mountain, it is a big part of what makes the Camden Haven Valley such a special place.
Declaration as an Aboriginal Place
The entire park was declared an Aboriginal Place under Section 84 of the NPW Act on 21st December 2001. An Aboriginal Place is an area of special significance to Aboriginal culture and declaration provides recognition of the significance of the area and its heritage values which relate to traditions, observances, customs, beliefs or history of Aboriginal people.
This declaration doesn't change the status of the land but may limit use as far as preventing activities that may destroy, damage or deface the Aboriginal Place.
Information for this National Park has been supplied courtesy of The New South Wales National Parks and Wildlife Service