Boonoo Boonoo National Park

From a lookout platform you can watch the river plunge 210 m at Boonoo Boonoo Falls (pronounced 'bunna bunoo—a local Aboriginal term for big rocks). In spring, boronia, banksia, grevillea and a profusion of other flowering plants brighten the woodlands of this granite country.

 

Getting there

This park is near...
Tenterfield (26 km, 30 minutes)
Best access routes

From Stanthorpe take the road to Amosfield, then turn south towards Tenterfield along the Woodenbong Road. Between Amosfield and Bald Rock National Park the road is unsealed.

 

Continue south past Bald Rock for a further 7 kilometres to the Bonnoo Boonoo National Park/Boonoo Boonoo Falls turn off. Follow this road for 4 kilometres to the park boundary.

 

The 9 kilometre park access road is unsealed and ends at the Boonoo Boonoo Falls Picnic Area.
Road quality: unpaved sections

 

From the northern end of Tenterfield turn right onto the Woodenbong Road. After 22 kilometres turn right at the Boonoo Boonoo National Park/Boonoo Boonoo Falls sign. Follow this road for 4 kilometres to the boundary of Boonoo Boonoo National Park.

 

The 9 kilometres park access road is unsealed and ends at the Boonoo Boonoo Falls Picnic Area.
Road quality: unpaved sections

 

Facilities & things to do
>>Walking tracks
>>Car touring
>>Swimming
>>Picnics & barbecues
>>Lookouts
>>Camping grounds

 

Natural environment

Native plant communities
>>Eucalypt forests
>>Rainforests
>>Woodlands

Native animals
>>Reptiles and amphibians
>>Mammals
>>Birds

 

Culture & history

 

History in the park

The park area since colonisation
Following the settlement of the Tenterfield area in the 1840s, the Woodenbong Road, then known as the Mount Lindesay Highway, was the main link between Sydney and Brisbane. The area was soon recognised for its suitability for bush grazing and several large holdings were established.

 

Gold was discovered in the late nineteenth century in Morgans Gully and Ropers Gully, and the village of Boonoo Boonoo flourished as a result. The village was abandonned long ago, but its remains can still be seen on the eastern side of the Woodenbong Road near Resurrection Creek.

 

Boonoo Boonoo Falls became accessible at about the turn of the 19th century and the poet Andrew Barton (Banjo) Patterson is said to have courted Alice Walker, daughter of the owner of Tenterfield Station, at the Boonoo Boonoo Falls lookout. The two were married in 1903.

History of the park
In 1964 the Tenterfield Tourist Group asked the former Fauna Protection Panel to dedicate the Boonoo Boonoo Falls area as a national park. Local opinion was that the area should be set aside for conservation, and Fauna Protection Panel agreed. Two parcels of land totalling 1345 hectares were gazetted as the nucleus of Boonoo Boonoo National Park in 1982.

 

Since then various additions have been made and the park now has an area of 4377 hectares.

 

The park protects the environment around the Boonoo Boonoo River, one of the more pristine rivers on the New England Tablelands. The park also includes the Mount Prentice massif, and the area's beautiful scenery and wildlife.

 

The National Parks and Wildlife Service has established picnic and camping facilities in the park and its popularity increases year by year.

 

Information for this National Park has been supplied courtesy of  The New South Wales National Parks and Wildlife Service

 

 

Copyright © 2010-2017 New Realm Media
Web Design by New Realm Media